Saturday, August 12, 2017

January 2017 DRC

Sorry...this is a late post.  Someone asked me to add my letter that I sent out in January.  I got a new hard-drive and can't find my pictures to upload...

January 31, 2017
My contract ends mid-May and I plan to travel back to the US for 4 to 6 months. I would work a temporary job to help pay off my loans and to relearn medical terms in English (I teach and talk in French here). I’d take the last part of my board exams and then head back to the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). My hope would be to spend a few months learning Swahili.
If you were to ask me a few months ago if I would stay, I would’ve said no. It was hard to see the changes and the progress being made. And it’s still hard depending on the day, but I know there are changes being made.

I see it in how I no longer have to guide people in how to prepare a patient for a C-section; it’s just done. We’ve started once a week education for our department. It’s basic, but it’s well attended and people are learning. I’ve been teaching at the nurses’ education subjects like contraception (blocking pregnancy), fidelity (staying with your spouse), and how to keep pregnant ladies who are bleeding from dying. I’m getting involved in the church here and I am still involved in a Bible study for young women. I help support 2 nursing students that are doing well in their classes. I’m helping patients

spouse), and how to keep pregnant ladies who are bleeding from dying. I’m getting involved in the church here and I am still involved in a Bible study for young women. I help support 2 nursing students that are doing well in their classes. I’m helping patients make good decisions about their care when they often are given bad advice elsewhere. I am helping train the next generation of physicians who are going out to practice on their own. I’m working with the administration to help improve quality of care. I’m even doing the mundane like supervising building a fence around the yard to keep goats out of the garden.

Life is different. It can be extremely challenging. It’s hard to see the change, or the hope of change sometimes. But there is hope. And I want to be a part of it for the next few years.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers, your e-mails, and your encouragement. As it gets closer to the time when I’m back in the US, I’ll start organizing times to come and see you.

Timeline
Feb 10-23: medical conference in Thailand 

Feb 23-March 2: vacation in Thailand
March 6-10: visit from 2 doctors with Serge 

March 8: my friend Anita comes to visit/work 
mid-May: return to the US

Prayer requests
1. For good health. I still have bouts of 
being sick, but nothing as serious as before.
2. Safety traveling between Nyankunde and Thailand.
3. Wisdom to know how best to train my new colleague Deborah



No comments:

Post a Comment