Friday, December 26, 2014

December Letter


            This last month and a half I’ve been working part-time in a hospital in Cadillac, Michigan, while they look for a full-time Ob/Gyn doctor.  Right now I’m sitting in the hospital on call, waiting for a few people to deliver, as a snowstorm squalls.  If it’s not a white Christmas in northern Michigan, I would be surprised. 
            And while it’s been good to work, learning more and earning some money for my student loans, it’s been a blessing to have my weekends free to visit friends and family.  This last weekend I watched my cousin Lizzy perform in the Nutcracker and my cousin Wyatt sing in his Christmas performance.  I also was able to sneak in some time with friends from college and medical school.  It’s strange to realize I won’t be seeing most of you for the next 2-3 years, so I appreciate even a few hours to talk and visit.
At this point, most of the details for my January departure have been taken care of: I have a one-way plane ticket to Zurich, Switzerland, from where I’ll then take the train to Neuchatel for my French language study.  I’m hoping to be back in the U.S. the last week in April to take the verbal portion of my board exam, but I haven’t yet received approval.  If I’m able to take my boards, where I go from there will depend on how proficient I am in French.  If I need more time in language study, then I’ll return to Switzerland until June.  If not, then I will be headed to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for 2 years.           
But before Switzerland, I’ll take the next few weeks to spend time with family, eating great food and singing carols in a key that no one else would want to hear.  It’s fun to spend time together and experience our traditions, and one of my favorite things is on Christmas Eve when my brother reads from the Bible about Jesus’ birth.  It’s an amazing story about how God chose to become a baby.  The purpose wasn’t to show us how to live a blameless life like he did, but to love us and save us from death, the consequence of our sin.  Seems like a pretty extreme punishment for people who don’t really do things that are too bad, but God’s standard is perfection, and the only one to have met it was Jesus.  And even though he was perfect, he chose to literally die in our place, demonstrating his power to save us by coming back from the dead.
I think this hit home for me a little more these last few years.  Trying circumstances often bring out the worst in people, and after being tested the last 3 years in a difficult residency with some difficult people, I discovered the extent of my sinfulness.  But it’s given me a greater appreciation for Jesus’ deliberate decision to become human, to live on this earth, die, live again, and still offer his love to me, to all of us.  And, even though it can be hard, all I have to do is believe it.  It’s a true gift, offered, ironically, to people who don’t deserve it.  I don’t have to earn it, pay for it, or be good enough to get it. 
So on that note of hope, and in case I don’t see you before I leave, Merry Christmas!
           
Prayer requests:
1.     Discipline and ability to learn French quickly
2.     Approval to take the verbal portion of my board exams and wisdom to know when I should take it.

Timeline:
            January 8th:  Leave for French language study in Switzerland
            April 12th: Tentatively done with language school (longer if needed)
            May 1st: Possibly take board exams in Chicago

Contact info
1.  The best way to reach me will be e-mail: medoran82@aol.com
2.  I also plan to update my blog monthly: michelledoran82.blogspot.com. 
3.  Switzerland is 6 hours ahead and I have access to Skype: doranmi1
4.  My address in Switzerland:
Chemin des Vignes Perdues 6
2022 Bevaix Switzerland
5.  Packages when I’m in the DRC should be sent to my home address:
                        4614 Claudia Dr
                        Waterford, MI 48328

Giving
Thank you for the financial support so many of you have already generously given.  I am receiving a stipend from Samaritan’s Purse, but I am raising money in order to stay long-term in the DRC.  I don’t have a set amount that I need to raise yet as I don’t have a lot of the details about cost of living, but the typical amount is about $3,000/month.

Checks can be sent with my account number (004864) in the memo line:

Samaritan’s Purse
P.O. Box 3000
Boone, NC  28607

Alternately, donate online at www.samaritanspurse.org.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Ahmad Asnul Brunei, I contacted Mr Osman Loan Firm for a business loan amount of $250,000, Then i was told about the step of approving my requested loan amount, after taking the risk again because i was so much desperate of setting up a business to my greatest surprise, the loan amount was credited to my bank account within 24 banking hours without any stress of getting my loan. I was surprise because i was first fall a victim of scam! If you are interested of securing any loan amount & you are located in any country, I'll advise you can contact Mr Osman Loan Firm via email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    LOAN APPLICATION INFORMATION FORM
    First name......
    Middle name.....
    2) Gender:.........
    3) Loan Amount Needed:.........
    4) Loan Duration:.........
    5) Country:.........
    6) Home Address:.........
    7) Mobile Number:.........
    8) Email address..........
    9) Monthly Income:.....................
    10) Occupation:...........................
    11)Which site did you here about us.....................
    Thanks and Best Regards.
    Derek Email osmanloanserves@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us (creditloan11@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete